[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Postponement of public hearing for Boulder-Nablus Sister City Project

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Apr 15 15:17:23 MDT 2016

Sender: Young, Mary

Dear Colleagues and Community Members,

As you know, we have received a large volume of email regarding the proposal for Nablus, Palestine as our next sister city. The hearing is currently scheduled for Tuesday, April 19.

The Boulder-Nablus Sister City Project (BNSCP) has requested that the hearing be postponed until after a mediation process with representatives of those that oppose the proposal.

The sister city sub-committee supports this and would like to bring forward a motion at Tuesday night's meeting to accomplish this.

MOTION LANGUAGE:

That the City of Boulder host, arrange, and pay for a publicly open and transparent mediation process between representatives of the BNSCP and representatives of those who have expressed concerns regarding the application and that this hearing be continued to a date no later than early October after completion of the mediation process.

Additionally, the sub-committee proposes that we begin the hearing, allow for presentations from one local (Norris Hermsmeyer) and one national (Adam Kaplan) representative of Sister Cities International. After which, the motion would be brought forward and a vote taken. We would then continue the hearing to a date no later than early October at which point public testimonies would be heard.

Thank you.

Mary Dolores Young
Mayor Pro Tem

"All ethics . . . rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts . . ." - Aldo Leopold