[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Chautauqua IS a Park

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Sep 4 10:54:36 MDT 2015

Sender: Young, Mary

Dear Colleagues,

It was very surprising for me to watch you all make the decision that Chautauqua is not a park. I did not send in my comments beforehand because it seemed like such a "no-brainer" that that is how things would go.

After reading Crystal Gray's email to Council, I went back and read through a digital copy of the Grand Assembly that I happen to have on hand. Relevant excerpts below.

>From the Grand Assembly by Mary Galey:

"The Texans then made their proposal: Boulder must establish a park of at least eighty acres and construct permanent buildings for the use of the Chautauqua Assembly. They must also allow a railroad to be laid to any part of the
city where the Chautauqua would be located. The Association promised to provide a complete program of education and entertainment for the summer at no expenses to Boulder."

"Days to Opening: Date: Step:

89 April 5 Bonds were approved by voters.
86 April 8 Local banks agreed to split bond issue equally.

76 April 18 Council appointed “Committee on Parks.” "

The year in reference is 1898. The "Committee on Parks" would be analogous to our Parks and Rec Advisory Board.

When viewed in light of the Charter Amendment:

"The council may by motion grant leases, permits, or licenses in or on park lands, but only upon the affirmative vote of at least four members of the parks and recreation advisory board. The council may, by ordinance, delegate
 all or any part of this authority to the parks and recreation advisory board to approve such leases, permits, or licenses. The parks and recreation advisory board may, by motion, sub-delegate all or any part of its delegated authority to approve such leases, permits, or licenses to the city manager."

It is clear to me that Chautauqua is a park. By declaring that it is not, we could be opening ourselves up to violating the charter and any subsequent consequences. Why would we not, at the very least, operate under the precautionary
principle and allow our Parks and Recreation Advisory to review the lease which they have done in the past?

I request that we reconsider this matter.

Thank you.

[...]

Mary
 Dolores Young

"All ethics . . . rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts . . ." - Aldo Leopold