[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: FW: Oct. 20 Meeting -- Item 5J

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 20 09:54:51 MDT 2015

Sender: Shoemaker, Andrew

With respect to our upcoming discussion of item 5J -- Occupancy:
(1) I anticipate having questions for the police department regarding policing blocks with a heavy concentration of student rentals.

(2) Would it be possible to have on the screen for discussion an overview map of all rentals in the City of Boulder, and one that shows specific properties on the Hill (I attach an example pdf)?

(3) Note that the City's rental license maps only show licensed rentals, and not rentals owned by parents of students.  I attach an example of marketing to sell to CU parents homes in the City of Boulder (appearing in the October 3, 2015 edition of the Daily Camera during Parent's Weekend).

(4) The Staff's most recent memo on item 5J includes a 2008 document regarding a survey of various occupancy rules, however there is more recent information.  I attach a 2013 study prepared by the Central Austin (TX) Community Development Corporation that includes a more recent survey and a discussion of some of the same issues being experienced on the Hill (affordability, neighborhood character, family flight and displacement, pre-leasing, proactive vs. complaint-based enforcement).  Note that in 2014, Austin, TX lowered its occupancy limit to 4 in a portion of the city, particularly near the University.

(5) Is there a map of all properties the City considers to have historic value, such that we can see what portion of the properties in the City with structures of historic value are located on the Hill?