[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: References and resources on impact fees

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Oct 14 08:22:35 MDT 2015

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Fellow Council Members and Hotline followers,

There were a couple of requests by Council members for studies and resources that examine the use of impact fees, and the potential positive or negative consequences of their use.  It seems like there is a rich literature on the subject,
and I am including a few links to a few that I thought were interesting.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2003/06/metropolitanpolicy-nelson

http://mrsc.org/Home/Explore-Topics/Planning/Land-Use-Administration/Impact-Fees.aspx

http://www.huduser.gov/periodicals/cityscpe/vol8num1/ch4.pdf

https://www.lincolninst.edu/pubs/2063_The-Effects-of-Development-Impact-Fees-on-Local-Fiscal-Conditions

I think this only scratches the surface, but my takeaway is that the impacts on job growth and housing prices of impact fees is variable and strongly based on the situation in each individual city.  Some of these sources appear to be peer
reviewed, and list sources clearly.

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council