[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: My request for a Charter Committee meeting

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue May 19 14:59:45 MDT 2015

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Fellow Council Members,

I had written last week to Alisa Lewis, City Clerk, and fellow members of the Charter Committee (a standing sub-committee of the City Council of which I am a member) to request a meeting regarding upcoming election issues, and to consider in the committee whether any of the potential items currently under discussion should be implemented as a proposed Charter change to be referred to City voters.  Any recommendations of the sub-committee would of course be subject to further Council discussion, modification, approval, or rejection.  The subjects that I listed included:

1)     Changes requested by the Library Commission to make that board more similar in structure and governance to other boards.  I believe this would have to be a Charter modification.
2)     Consideration of an area planning measure along the lines of what other cities use for various planning purposes.  This could be either a Charter measure or ordinance, and the idea of considering this was based recommendations from Victor Dover and others.
3)     Utility franchise fee extension as suggested by the City Manager and other staff.
4)     One I forgot to include, but which has had some Council discussion, is an occupation tax or head tax such as Denver’s.
5)     Another I forgot to include but which has had discussion is the possibility of raising Council member pay.

I had initially requested this meeting for the week of May 25 to get the meeting planning process going.  After hearing back from others on the committee, I think the following week would work better.  Until the committee meets, I have
no idea which, if any, of the listed ideas would be recommended by the committee.  Of course, Council also has the latitude to bring any of these forward without prior Charter Committee discussion.  Since the purpose of the Charter Committee is to do initial review, discussion, and preparation of Charter measures, and since our election referral deadline is approaching, I thought it timely to have a meeting.

I hope this clarifies the intent of my request.

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council
weavers at bouldercolorado.gov