[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Issues with 2015 Boulder Community Profile

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 31 09:20:52 MDT 2015

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

While it seems to be quite difficult to find really good jobs data – as I’ve previously noted – I’ve attached census data from 2002 – 2013.  There are some anomalies (at least it appears that way to me), but essentially this data shows that there were approximately 80,000 jobs in the city each year from 2002 – 2007, and then from 2008 – 2013 there have been about 85,000 jobs, with some movement up and down each year.  As we’ve discussed, these totals are less than our city estimates – maybe because the census data doesn’t count everything (such as self-employment, sole proprietors, etc.), maybe because this is just hard to count.  But assuming the census data has been based on the same methodology since 2002, these numbers would seem to at least provide a good indication of job growth during that period.  As such, and even assuming that since 2013 Boulder has added a few thousand jobs (using the census methodology), that still yields a reasonably current census estimate of about 85,000.  That means that over any typical 10-year period up to the present, the rate of job growth per year has been less than .5% (1/2 of 1%).  Looking at just “private employment” (not shown in the attachment), the years 2002 and 2008 were relatively high (a few thousand more than nearby years) at ~66,000+, while in 2013 that had increased very slightly to ~68,000+.   The not-insignificant increase in C/I space in Boulder deserves another look – particularly as to how much of it is really residential, how much might be retail/hotel or other uses that create relatively few jobs per square foot, etc.  Regardless, the census data seems to largely validate our numbers.
--Matt