[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: 3 energy articles of interest

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Mar 5 10:24:39 MST 2014

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Craig,

Thanks for sharing your information.  Since your email list is not available to me, perhaps you can forward along the following post to it.  I am including Hotline on this email so that as many of those local community leaders and interested citizens can
 see the good news about the Austin municipal electric utility achieving a high penetration of renewables ahead of schedule and below expected costs.  I am certain that Boulder could follow that model were it to have the opportunity.  Hopefully Xcel can find
 a way to make some proposals in the near term that meet with the majority of the Boulder community's Energy Future goals.

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2014/03/austin-texas-approves-wind-power-agreement-to-achieve-renewables-goal-four-years-early?cmpid=BioNL-Tuesday-March4-2014

The Austin, Texas, City Council approved a wind power contract Feb. 27 that enables Austin Energy to achieve its goal of delivering 35 percent of all of its electricity from renewable sources four years ahead of its goal, the utility said in a news release.

                        "position": "x50",
                        "device": "Mobile"
                }">

The contract with Lincoln Renewable Energy calls for Austin Energy to buy up to 300 MW of wind power for 18 years for $31 million a year. The price for the wind power is in the $26-to-$36/MWh price range, making it the least expensive wind purchase Austin
 Energy has ever entered into since it began contracting for wind power in the late 1990s.

The price is also lower than the $32/MWh average cost for all power in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas in 2013 and will not increase customer bills, the utility said.

The new wind project consisting of 160 wind turbines will be built in Castro County, Texas and is projected to come online in the fourth quarter of 2015.

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council
weavers at bouldercolorado.gov