[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Many people in Boulder are concerned about this

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jun 30 10:13:00 MDT 2014

Sender: Cowles, Macon

This nice spot at the NW corner of the high school football field has been taken over by people heap their belongings in one place, shoes in another, and drape wet clothes over a black iron fence next to the creek. This area
 is behind the stores that are on the east side of Broadway, at the SE corner of the intersection of Broadway and Arapahoe.

Prompted by phone calls from adjacent businesses and people who use this area, I went there twice on Saturday to check it out. The first time, at 5:15 PM Saturday, there were about a dozen people on or near the triangle of grass bounded by the sidewalk.
 One person was sitting on an old chair at the top of the triangle where the grass is now bare from use. Several people were stretched out sleeping either on the sidewalk--yes--or on the grass. Two large unleashed dogs were on the sidewalk.

I returned to the spot about two hours later and took the photo attached. Fewer people were present. But with the people gone, it afforded a better view of the litter strewn about.

One neighboring business that is open until 9 PM in the evening, now feels it necessary to walk each female customer of the business to their cars, which are parked behind the store. Another business was told by a long term customer that she is taking
 her trade elsewhere, as the location adjacent to the parking has become so offensive. Students understandably avoid using the pedestrian path from the Hill that is on the east side of Broadway. A cyclist coming down the hill would have to avoid sleeping people
 on the sidewalk. And then there is the the fact that this occurs at the very edge of Boulder High School.

I encourage Council Members and staff to go to this area to become familiar with the conditions that give some people pause and put a lot of people on edge. Then let's talk about what we can do.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Council Member

1726 Mapleton Ave.

Boulder, Colorado 80304