[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: McAfee ClickProtect - a new way to protect you from malicious spam

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Jul 23 16:53:28 MDT 2014

Sender: IT-System Status

The IT Department has started using a new security service on our systems called ClickProtect. This service will help us all to avoid web sites with known viruses and security problems.

·
This tool
scans all incoming email for website links and replaces those links with a temporary link that points to our email protection service.

·
It does not scan sites you type directly into your web browser.

·
It does not scan email sent internally from City employees.

·
When you click the temporary link, the website that the email was originally trying to send you to is scanned.

If it is a known malicious site, you will be blocked from it and will instead see something like this:

If the site is unknown to our scanning service, you will see something like this:

The warning above may be accompanied by a picture of what the website actually looks like. If this is what you are expecting, then you can click the link and go to the website that the email was originally trying
 to send you to.  If the preview is just a blank screen, then please use caution and only go to the site if you trust the original sender.

If the website is known to be harmless the temporary link in the scanned email will take you straight to the intended website.

Internet crime is getting more sophisticated every day. More and more, we are seeing email that is carefully crafted to pass through the automated scanners that our email protection service uses
 to scan our incoming email. These emails try to convince you that you must click the links they contain or something terrible will happen, or that you will receive money you were not expecting. Usually, these links lead to malicious websites that will try
 to infect your computer and/or cause you to reveal sensitive information.  We try to stay one step ahead of this onslaught but, some continue to slip through.   McAfee ClickProtect is another tool for us to help protect you.

Kim McCleskey

IT Customer Service Coordinator

City of Boulder

303-441-4185