[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Parking Services - Lollypop signs - Variable messaging

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jul 8 11:32:27 MDT 2014

Sender: Molly WInter

Dear Macon,

Our intent and goal for the variable messaging signs is to produce greater customer service and reduce driving by displaying parking availability within a garage and then directing patrons to another garage when one was full.  The signs are designed to begin a countdown display when a garage reaches a designated occupancy.  We also wanted a sign  that would allow us to program different messages, i.e. Welcome CU Grads, Happy Thanksgiving, etc.

The variable messaging signs are part of a larger contract to a consortium of vendors to produce the exterior signs including the variable messaging component, as well as develop and install interior way-finding signage. Pictoform is the primary contractor providing the interior and exterior design features working in conjunction with the sign manufacturer, Datronkics and McCain the variable messaging software manufacturer.   The project was bid through the city purchasing process. The interior signage has been designed and installed, and has met with favorable feedback.

What we have learned through this process is that it is challenging to retrofit existing garages with variable messaging signage and we are working with our vendors to complete the project to our operational standards. To be successful, variable messaging requires the flawless integration of four separate systems to be functional:  Ethernet access, sufficient electrical connection, garage loop counting system as well as the software communication of the variable messaging signage display. The five garages vary in age from 37 to10 years old and each has a unique design with a mix of parking and non-parking uses.  None of them were equipped with the sufficient technical infrastructure for the signs to function.  The first phase of the project focused on installing the basic infrastructure of the Ethernet access and electrical connections.

After the sign infrastructure was installed with the Ethernet service and adequate electrical connections, the next phase has been working diligently to get the variable messaging software operating as expected.  Staff works daily with McCain in trouble shooting the car counts to ensure accuracy.  An issue is integrating the 15 year old technology (our current gate system with embedded loops) with new technology (the variable messaging signs).  The problem has been narrowed to a glitch in the car counting database that occurs overnight interrupting accurate car counts for the next day.  The result can be the “FULL” sign displayed when there is adequate parking available. Staff is working diligently with McCain and others to resolve the issue.

The decision about the sign content was determined from consultation with parking industry experts and following best practices. The signs say OPEN when there was sufficient available parking.  Industry surveys have shown reluctance by female patrons to enter a garage that appeared empty, hence decided against posting a number such as 300 spaces available and then counting down.  Instead when a garage reaches occupancy of 25 or fewer spaces, the signs then begin to show a number of available spaces until full, when the sign switches to – “full go to an alternate garage.” The messaging on the signs is limited by the number of pixels and space available in the display boards.  The current system is pre-programmed and we are working with McCain to allow on-site staff to program the system and change the text.  The broken sign text in the photograph occurs when the programmer is remotely working on the system.

There are two display boards within each sign, one to run the car count and one to display messages.  The two signs cost approximately $25,000.  That is one of the reasons you do not see a display board on both sides.  Each of the garages, other than the 1000 Walnut (St Julien) and the east side of 1500 Pearl are fronted on one-way streets.  We chose to have the messaging face on-coming traffic.  The sign on the back is a static metal panel that both protects the interior and displays the parking information message.  The decision was made to place the display sign on the north facing sign at the east entrance to Pearl only for two reasons.  The first was cost and the second was based upon the majority of the visitor traffic approaches the entrance from Pearl Street.  Regular users are aware of the entrance from the south and are primarily permit users arriving in the morning.

In the 2015 CIP, all the gate entry and exit equipment will be replaced and associated technology upgraded. The improvements will ensure better software integration producing a more accurate car count, both for internal reporting purposes and for display on the signs.  Staff continues to work with vendors to ensure the technology is integrated with the other systems.  Our intent is to create a stable and reliable data base and signage messaging system that can be accessed remotely allowing visitors and patrons the opportunity to find available parking and not circle or guess which garage is full and which has available spaces.

I hope this has answered all your questions.  Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information.

Kurt Matthews
Manager, Parking Services
303-413-7320
matthewsk at bouldercolorado.gov