[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Code of Conduct, First Reading Questions and Comments--Jan. 21, 2014 Packet

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jan 24 17:43:19 MST 2014

Sender: Cowles, Macon

All page references are to the page number of the 140121 packet.

Gifts to Public Officials, p. 11, lines 10-16.

I would think that discounts off prices available to the public should also be prohibited.

Action taken by public officials with respect to former employees, p. 13, lines 2-4.

Six months is a very short time. I would think that one year would be more in line with other restrictions we have, such as the period of time that must pass after retirement before a former Council member can address the City Council.

What does this mean: the last sentence of subparagraph (e), p. 13, lines 19-20?

Consent to Sue, pp. 15-16, carryover paragraph.

I agree with Matt's statement that no consent of the Council should be required for a public official to sue the City for a number of things: tort, breach of contract, etc. But I believe that to the extent consent is required, the requirement should apply
 to spouses and domestic partners of public officials as well.

Rudeness is prohibited, apparently, see p. 17, lines 7-8, as fleshed out on p. 21 Line 10.

While rudeness should be discouraged, and is never helpful, and usually just pours fuel on the fire, should that be a punishable offense?

Nepotism rule, p. 18, lines 7-8 and p. 22, line 2.

These subparagraphs prohibit a public employee from participating in the decision to hire relatives for any City position. But this invites a broader question: What is the nepotism rule in the City? How many instances, and in what departments, do we have
 people working where there is a relative who also is employed by the City?

Reference to a provision in the BRC leads to a dead end.

P. 22, subparageraphs (y) and  (z), lines 21-24 refer to BRC Section 2-7-8(f)(20). I cannot find such a section in the Code, or in the proposed amendment. What is the correct reference?

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Council Member

1726 Mapleton Ave.

Boulder, Colorado 80304