[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: A couple of resources on homelessness

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jan 21 09:37:59 MST 2014

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Folks,

I received some interesting links on homelessness (both fairly short) that I wanted to share with you.  The first is about an LA program to reduce chronic homelessness and the cost savings to the city, and the second is about a big success in Phoenix.  Thanks to Anne Butterfield for sharing:

http://www.economicrt.org/summaries/Where_We_Sleep.html

http://usich.gov/blog/elisha_harig-blaine

According to HUD, the homeless population of the US is 610,000.  This is a rate of 610,000/315,000,000 or 0.2%.  Boulder County has about 800 homeless out of 305,000 population, which is a rate of 0.26%, slightly higher than the US average.  If Boulder as a City were at the US average rate, there would be about 200 chronically homeless in the City.  If we were at the County average, we would have about 260 chronically homeless in the City

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council
weavers at bouldercolorado.gov