[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Bike capacity on US36BRT buses

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Jan 9 17:41:53 MST 2014

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

Macon’s comments are essentially correct: RTD almost certainly will go ahead and order their new, standard over-the-road coaches for US36 BRT.  This has been
 an issue of very considerable concern at the US36 Mayors and Commissioners Coalition (MCC), where it has been discussed repeatedly (and will be again at our meeting tomorrow), and about which we have met several times with RTD.  I think we can accept this
 bus purchase, but only with the condition – as we’ve made clear – that there will be further discussions regarding bus selection and that any buses being bought now could be moved to other parts of the RTD system and then replaced with “real” BRT equipment.
 Let’s just say that at the moment there isn’t complete agreement between RTD and the MCC about how this will proceed.  As for bikes: yes, bike storage is clearly an important component, but so are others, including, to be sure, comfort, but also speed of loading
 (multiple doors, low floor), ability to climb Davidson Mesa and run in snow, etc.  Whether there are buses that could meet all/most of these objectives isn’t entirely clear, so even in the best of circumstances it seems likely that some trade-offs will need
 to be made.  Finally, I agree completely that the RTD poll was, at best, not useful, and at worst, well
 – which is why the MCC is still strongly pursuing this issue.

And
I’m posting this to the city Hotline since there are several councilmembers in on this discussion and as such it really needs to be public.  As for the
 public process: RTD will, I believe, go to its Board very soon (later this month I think) for their approval of the bus purchases.  That is the only chance for the public to weigh in, so far as I know.  However, as noted, the MCC continues to work on this
 and hopes to get a formal agreement with RTD regarding continued efforts at finding more appropriate BRT buses; I assume that any such agreement would also need to be approved by the RTD Board at a public meeting.  In addition, once the MCC’s position is clearer,
 I would hope to provide it to our city council for their comments.

--Matt