[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Fwd: Followup to Climate and Energy Study Session

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Dec 15 18:56:19 MST 2014

Sender: Jones, Suzanne

December 15, 2014
Dear Brett et al—
Thank you for the opportunity to comment on Boulder’s Climate-Energy Framework. I was very sorry to miss the November 12th study session due to my Council obligations to represent Boulder at the Denver Regional Council of Governments meeting
 that same evening.

Below is my feedback on the good work that is being done.

General Comments

I am thrilled to see the progress being made in developing a
detailed pathway to reaching 80% reduction in emissions by 2050.

I agree with the focus on energy, and secondarily on transportation, as organizing principles of our framework and major sources of GHG emissions.  That said, I also agree that reaching our climate goals will take a transformational
community-wide effort involving all sectors. For this reason, I recommend we adopt Consumption-Based Greenhouse Gas Accounting as a mechanism to incorporate emissions reductions from a broader array of programs and policies beyond just energy and transportation—as discussed in more detail below.

In looking at energy and transportation, I believe we must continue to dually embrace: 1) reduction/conservation/efficiency, with 2) fuel transition/clean energy. In other words, to reduce consumption even as we also try to clean up the energy source—e.g., even as we try to promote adoption of electric vehicles, our even higher goal should be promoting mass transit and carless lifestyles. I do not believe we can simply consume our way to a climate solution.

I appreciate the explicit acknowledgement of the choice between large-scale, centralized renewable energy development versus more decentralized distributed generation. While we shouldn’t ignore the potential economies of scale that may exist with large-scale development, I am pleased that we are emphasizing exploring the opportunities and benefits that exist with distributed generation and local generation options because of all of the other community values they support –e.g., energy
 democracy, resiliency, etc.

I fully support our active engagement and leadership in conversations about transforming the current utility industry and creating the “utility of the future,” as I think a new model is absolutely essential to breaking open up the
 current utility monopoly and related reliance on fossil fuels.

On a related note, even as we continue on our path towards municipalization, I encourage us to remain actively engaged in efforts at the PUC and state legislature to promote transformative policy changes that would aid in statewide
 progress on climate and energy.  I think it is essential that we continue to play team ball even as we explore our own municipal solutions.

Consumption-Based Greenhouse Gas Accounting

I also recommend that we consider adopting a consumption-based accounting system that would show the global climate impacts of all Boulder’s activities, not just those that occur within our borders.  Such an emissions inventory would include direct, indirect and remote emissions and would better reflect the global climate impact of our residents and businesses—including significant GHG contributors not covered in Boulder’s current inventory such as food choices, consumption patterns, air travel and other lifestyle choices that substantially impact our climate footprint.

 Leading communities such as King County, WA, and Portland, OR, have developed consumption based emissions inventories. Their findings show that the GHG emissions related to the production, manufacture and disposal of materials, goods and food make up half of their climate impact. (See  http://www.oregonmetro.gov/sites/default/files/10116_climate_change_fact_sheet_pla_csc.pdf for fact sheet from Portland;
http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/climate/climate-change-resources/emissions-inventories/2008-report.aspx for King County, WA report.)

Climate impact calculators
for consumers show significant differences in emissions levels between individuals based on income and household choices around air travel, food (particularly meat and dairy) and purchasing clothing, furniture, electronics and other “stuff.” Boulder’s affluence likely gives us a higher global impact.

Energy should absolutely be the focus of climate reductions in the long term. However, by not accounting for indirect and remote emissions in its inventory, Boulder is missing key opportunities to reduce emissions more immediately through
 low-cost programs, policies, and infrastructure that promote reuse, reduction, green purchasing, sharing/renting and more. These programs do not displace the need to revamp our energy system; they augment our emissions reductions and help instill the lifestyle changes needed to meet our GHG reduction goals.

Zero waste:  Zero waste efforts are one such category where there is a big overlap between climate goals and waste diversion goals.

For example, the state of California required all businesses to recycle as one of its first early action items under its landmark AB32 GHG reduction plan.

In 2012, Fort Collins adopted regulations banning cardboard from the landfill to help meet its greenhouse gas reduction goals first and to reduce waste second.  This surprisingly non-controversial policy is successfully resulting in GHG reductions as well as helping Ft. Collins reach other community goals.

The focus of consumption-based accounting on materials, good and food should not be confused with our emissions related to “waste.” The disposal of our trash in Boulder County is only a small part of our carbon footprint. Our emissions related to consumption come from the life-cycle stages of manufacturing and distribution that are largely invisible to the consumer and occur largely outside of Boulder.

Agriculture:  Consumption-based accounting is also an important tool for measuring the impacts of agriculture and food choices on our climate. The city’s emissions inventory does not include GHGs from agriculture or livestock, yet
 globally agriculture and livestock are the third largest contributor toward climate change. Some research shows our agricultural and food systems may account for one-third of all climate emissions. Boulder cannot ignore the scale of these emissions or its responsibility for these emissions, even though the emissions occur primarily outside the city’s boundaries.

A more comprehensive consumption-based accounting system would allow Boulder to go beyond energy and transportation to evaluate additional programs and policies overseen by other city departments for their contribution to GHG reductions and help prioritize these other activities – e.g., Boulder’s Zero Waste Strategic Plan, local food policy, etc.

Begin forwarded message:

From:
"KenCairn, Brett" <KenCairnB at bouldercolorado.gov>

Subject:
Followup to Climate and Energy Study Session

Date:
November 19, 2014 10:18:40 AM MST

Dear Council Members

We understand that for a wide variety of reasons a number of you were unable to attend the Council Session on November 12th . The evening had a very full agenda of important information including a briefing
 from the progressive utility company NRG on trends and issues related to creating next generation electric utilities.  The study session focused on Boulder’s Climate Commitment and its close relationship and integration with our community energy strategy including
 both municipalization, our energy programs and strategies in transportation.  The second half of the evening provided updates on a number of major energy initiatives including the development and implementation of our Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency
 Ordinance.

In order to give all of you an opportunity to review and provide comments on these important and high Council priority initiatives, we have included the attached links.  Staff will include these and staff responses as part of a memo accompanying the Study Session
 summary that will be completed by December 5th.

Link to NRG Presentation Powerpoint

Links to Staff Presentation Powerpoints

Channel 8 Video of the Study Session

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information.

Thank you

Brett KenCairn

Brett KenCairn

Senior Environmental Planner

Community Planning and Sustainability

1739 Broadway, 4th Floor / Boulder, CO 80302

mail: PO Box 791 / Boulder, CO 80306-0791

303.441.3272 (o)

970.846.7344 (m)

Kencairnb at bouldercolorado.gov