[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Followup to Climate and Energy Study Session

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Dec 1 13:19:36 MST 2014

Sender: Young, Mary

Thank you Brett for sending these links along and also to the rest of staff involved in this study session. Sorry that I was not there.

Having just watched the video, I have the following comments and questions:

Climate Commitment:

Agree that what we need to focus on are accessibility policies that enable ideas such as the referenced one-stop shopping, bulk sales and open access.I very much like the idea of re-framing our climate commitment in terms of aspirational goals and was especially intrigued by the idea of stating it in terms of Energy Security.Reform at the state and national level will be key so it is essential that we leverage the new and existing partnerships that result from our involvement in national and worldwide efforts such as the Urban Sustainability Director's Network and even the
 Resilient Cities involvement.As an aside, if the BVCP only goes out to 2035 for population and job growth, we should consider alignment at the next update.With models such as Snugg Home where housing becomes part of the efficiency and sustainability equation, we need to link the Comprehensive Housing Strategy to our Climate Commitment.A comment was made regarding a conversation with an applicant about how rooftop space was limiting their ability to meet the energy codes. Do we have a menu of other options available to applicants with which building energy codes can be met other than
 with rooftop solar?
Part of the value of all our efforts is their exportability to other communities (as illustrated by David's 2 Techs + Truck story). It is critical that we not only engage our community and raise awareness of all the other efforts that are going on with
 respect to Energy Security, we need to leverage the aforementioned national and worldwide networks to help us raise awareness at that level as well.
Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency:

Like where we are headed with this.Since the efficacy of this ordinance is largely dependent on building use, we should consider focusing our initial efforts for this ordinance on the types of commercial and industrial buildings that we have the most of.Again, in this case, alignment of BVCP projections to these efforts would make sense.
Transportation:

The new proposed metrics of MPGe and PMT are headed in a good direction, here we should again consider creating an aspirational goal and corresponding aspirational metric that motivates community members.Again, in this case, alignment of BVCP projections to these efforts would make sense.As we move through the TMP implementation, in the same way we are looking at the Energy Utility providing energy as service, should we consider a

Mobility as Service transportation model such as what is being done in Finland?

Thanks again!

Mary
 Dolores Young