[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Correction and slight modification to proposed County sustainability tax

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Apr 23 08:08:00 MDT 2014

Sender: Darrow, Alisa

Proposed Boulder County sustainability tax

Dear Commissioners

Below are my thoughts regarding the proposed sustainability tax. These comments do not reflect the Boulder City Council.  These are solely my thoughts as a Boulder citizen who has been involved over the past 20+ years in a variety of public and personal sustainable goals and as someone who has served as an Eco-cycle block leader, region leader, representative on the Boulder Recycling and Composting Authority, and in various roles on the Boulder County Resource Conservation Advisory Board.

1. Any tax that will be considered in 2014 must be clear and focused. Voters need to know specifically for what the new tax will be used.  Right now, I am very concerned the current proposal is too vague and can be likened to a Xmas tree on which everyone has his favorite ornament hung. Keep it simple and focused.

2. Include only 2 areas of focus:
A) Energy Smart programs and infrastructure
B) Zero Waste infrastructure which would include:
      i) additional infrastructure for the county Materials Recovery Facility, (MRF) including additional tipping floor area, balers, possible expansion of the current facility and other needed infrastructure.
     ii) funding for acquisition of land for a C&D facility and the required infrastructure for C&D (construction and demolition).   C&D waste currently makes up one of our largest waste streams and we clearly will not get to Zero Waste without investment in land and infrastructure.  We cannot mandate additional C&D programs without the badly needed infrastructure to be in place first.
      I will remind you that several years ago when the 10-acre, $10M purchase of 6400 Arapahoe was negotiated by the previous Boulder County commissioners with the seller in executive session (the city of Boulder was not at the table), a significant part of that effort would include a 4-acre C&D facility there that would be the county's investment with the remaining 6-acres going to the city of Boulder's interest in recycling, reusing, and associated programs. As you know, strong local opposition was voiced against a C&D facility there, resulting in the county backing out of the entire deal leaving the city of Boulder paying the entire price and assuming ownership of the entire parcel.   Suffice it to say, I personally put immense political capital into persuading my City Council to buy and retain the entire parcel. The county at the time said it would identify another 4-acre site better situated for a C&D facility. To date, this has not happened but could through the proposed sustainability tax being currently considered. In good faith and traditional partnership, I expect Boulder County to follow through on its C&D land and facility commitment to the city of Boulder.

3.  Both funding of Energy Smart programs and the Zero Waste infrastructure needs are critical in leading the county to a higher level of sustainability.  These two programs are highly supported by the voters as evidenced in positive votes on past recycling taxes and enrollment by many in Energy Smart programs. Both have clear outcomes.

4. Given our current tax rates in Boulder County and sales tax measures I know other communities in Boulder County, including the city of Boulder, are considering for the 2014 ballot, I strongly suggest that the amount of this proposed tax be reduced to only addressing Energy Smart and Zero Waste funding (primarily for infrastructure). I also support the proposed sustainability tax to be a property, not sales, tax.

Thank you for consideration of my points.

Lisa Morzel

A republic is a political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them.
Also a group of people working as equals in the same sphere or field.

"Politics is what we create by what we do, what we hope for, and what we dare to imagine."  Paul Wellstone 1944-2002