[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Restoring our City Parks-a big thanks!

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Sep 30 13:15:28 MDT 2013

Sender: Jones, Suzanne

I wanted to give a big shout out to Jeff Dillion and the Parks & Recreation staff for organizing two very impressive volunteer work projects this past weekend to clean up Scott Carpenter and North Boulder parks. We had about 40 folks
 at Scott Carpenter, and I was told another 100 at North Boulder, to shovel and rake up mud and debris, trim trees, and in general beautify our public spaces.

Those parks now look better than ever, and  I can't tell you how gratifying it was for me--and others I talked with--to do a few hours of manual labor for the civic cause. Among other folks, we worked all morning with a woman who came from Broomfield with her
 two boys (10 and 12) to have them learn a life lesson about helping out others after a disaster--which they enthusiastically embraced. Pretty powerful stuff. Even my 8-year old niece McKenzie happily shoveled and swept for 3 hours.

I think these types of volunteer efforts are an essential aspect of recovery--for the much-needed physical restoration work they provide, but also for providing outlets for community-building and for people to give back. So a huge thanks to the city staff who
 organized them--they were extremely well run.  And a reminder to all that there will be more opportunities to help out next weekend--monitor
http://volunteer.unitedwayfoothills.org/ for more details.

Cheers,
Suzanne Jones