[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Alcohol and 500 foot rule - Another First Reading Question

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Oct 7 07:49:26 MDT 2013

Sender: Cowles, Macon

As part of consideration of land use changes proposed to regulate alcohol licensees, I request that Council be provided with  summary of the history of Whittier's alcohol land use changes.  Whittier was the first neighborhood to have an 'interface zone' that regulated size and hours of establishment (not just liquor) and it was expanded with the Downtown Alliance work. The Whittier regulations are widely viewed as being successful in helping to increase the fun and interest surrounding East Pearl. These changes are viewed as successful by residents, businesses and visitors.

The Hill certainly has issues but the changes before Council have to do with the entire city and not just the hill. I don't believe anyone from Whittier served on the recent committee, so the committee did not have the citizen input from the successful Whittier experience.

Thanks very much.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Council Member
1726 Mapleton Ave.