[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: 5/21/2013 - Agenda Item 5A

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue May 21 08:02:26 MDT 2013

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

Kathy – Yes, I’d like clarification on both of your responses:

-- Regarding ditching the concept of political committees: now I’m confused as to how “true” membership organizations (such as the Chamber, Boulder Tomorrow,
 PLAN-Boulder, FIDOS, etc.) would then support/oppose candidates.  Would they all need to form separate committees that raise money independently, report all the contributions (one of which could, presumably, come from the organization itself, but would be
 limited to $100), etc.?

-- And at this point I’m not sure I’m clear as to how such organizations might do the same with issues, since political committees now cannot take positions
 on issues.  But in this case, I assume (??) that a contribution to an issue committee can come from the very organization that created it, with no limit on the amount – so that there is still no listing of individual contributors but just an aggregate amount?
 In which case, how is this effectively different from what we now have?

-- Regarding “members,” I think your suggestion might actually make things worse in the sense that corporations (and the like) would then certainly be exempted,
 since not only don’t they have “members” (unless we so define it so they do), but they certainly don’t have “members that pay regular dues
”  Would it not just be simpler to state that corporations (and the like) simply must declare themselves as political
 committees if they support/oppose candidates, and that they don’t need to meet the specified criteria?

Thanks --Matt