[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: FW: Please place on the HOTLINE

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jun 18 16:03:37 MDT 2013

Sender: Lewis, Alisa

From: Eichem, Bob

Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:37 PM
To: Lewis, Alisa
Subject: Please place on the HOTLINE

Good afternoon.  Based on inquiry we would like to provide the attached  information. It provides some estimates of potential state sales tax share back and local excise tax options for recreational marijuana.  The current share back rate
 of state sales tax is the proposed 10%.

The varying ranges of possible retail sales amounts of recreational marijuana uses a base that is close to the current estimated level of retail sales of medical marijuana (approximately $24 million of retail sales). Additional scenarios
 used are a 50% increase in sales  and a 100% increase in current sales (there is no consensus about the increase but the range from zero to 100% provides a wide range for analysis).

For potential excise tax rates, the 40% wholesale rate of retail sales amount is being evaluated further and we will refine the numbers as more information becomes available.   The excise tax rates modeled in the spreadsheet are 5%, 10%
 and 15% ( of the 40% wholesales cost of the retail sales amount).

Please accept my apologies for sending this out late on the day of a council meeting.  Since it is late in the day staff will also have hard copies on the dais for this evening.

Thank you.
Bob