[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Recommend pulling Election code changes Item

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jun 4 08:47:31 MDT 2013

Sender: Becker, KC

Council members: First, I apologize for sending this email so last minute. I have only now been able to read Item 5C, Election Code Changes.

I first started to write a hotline item to correct a few things in the memo that misstated my proposal and my position on items related to political committees. I then also read the CAC minutes, spoke to Matt (our mayor) and to Tom Carr about several other problems with the memo and the proposal and have decided to recommend that this item as it relates to any issues about political committees and how organizations participate in city elections be pulled from our agenda tomorrow.

I don't think the item is ready for discussion. It is a very complicated subject with major repercussions for a variety of organizations that could want to participate in city politics. It involves federal constitutional and statutory law, as well as state law, that requires more research and more information.

I spoke to Tom Carr and he agrees that any ordinance changes related to political committees are not ready for Council review. The portions of the memo unrelated to political committees (like those involving dates to file campaign contributions and expenditures) can and should move forward without major controversy.

Our meetings are so full, I'd rather not have Council get into the intricacies and difficulties of campaign finance law without greater background and time to consider all the issues.

KC