[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Climate Impacts Coalition meeting in DC

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Dec 9 09:06:10 MST 2013

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

Colleagues -- A very quick report on my 24-hour dash to DC to take part in the first meeting of the newly formed Climate Impacts Coalition, a joint effort of the World Resources Institute and the Union of Concerned Scientists.  This was attended by about 80 invited guests, with sessions on issues quite relevant to Boulder; I've attached the agenda and also a description of the CIC.  Amazingly, I got there in time for the first session (and yes, its chair, Rafe Pomerance, is Steve's brother), and was able to stay through the afternoon break.

My session was a good one as the mayors -- I know both mayors Lerner and Becker very well from NLC -- described the real impacts of climate change and extreme weather events on their communities.  Caroline Berndt from NLC -- who staffs my EENR (Energy, Environment, and Natural Resources) committee -- provided an update on NLC's activities, and Susan Ruffo from CEQ (whom I've also chatted with a few times) gave an administration perspective.  There is a new federal task force on climate change resiliency, and Ralph Becker is one of the members -- and I think that the EENR committee will also be engaged in these issues.  I've attached below an email that in turn contains an article about the mayors session.

There was also much discussion on various scientific findings, and considerable conversation about how to best discuss these issues in the public and political realms, and why climate change issues don't seem to resonate terribly well or be seen as critical concerns.

If the presentations are made available I'll pass them on.  Not clear where this Coalition will go from here, but hopefully Boulder will be able to stay involved.

--Matt