[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Neighborhood Parking Permit Program and Commuter Parking

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Sep 4 16:37:46 MDT 2012

Sender: Cowles, Macon

Parking Services is shortly going to make a recommendation about whether to extend commuter parking in the NPP zones.

Taking into account the discussion of Transportation and Parking at the Study Session August 28, the decision about whether to extend commuter parking as part of the NPP program would no doubt be strengthened if it is supported by analysis from the Transportation Department. The discussion at the Study Session acknowledged that parking and roadway demand are inextricably intertwined. Therefore, giving commuter parking a place in the NPP program does have an impact on our transportation goals.

Donald Shoup points out in his landmark book The High Cost of Free Parking that commuter parking is the elephant in the room when it comes to designing walkable cities. We need to address his points specifically in connection with commuter parking in the NPP districts.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Councilor