[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Colorado Drought Conditions

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue May 1 09:06:32 MDT 2012

Sender: Wilson, Ken

Ten years ago we experienced what was thought to be the 300 year drought because of the low snow pack.  This year looks at least as bad with respect to snow pack.  However, since last year was a banner year for snow pack, reservoir storage is much better than in 2002.  City Utility staff will be checking our watershed snow readings in the next few days and will make recommendations as to whether we should have any drought restrictions.  Boulder's storage situation is currently good, which will help get us through the summer.  The worry is really whether we have low snow pack next winter.  That could be very serious.

Here is the chart for the South Platte River Basin.  You will see how this year is so much worse than last year and much worse than average.  Boulder's water shed usually does a bit better than the South Platte average.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/basinplotsp12.gif

Here is a map that shows snow pack averages for all of the watersheds.  Statewide we are at 28% of average.  This is very bad and will have impacts throughout the state.  I have never seen this map with such a dismal report, even in 2002.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/co_update_snow.pdf

We will hope that this very bad snow year is a one time event and not the start of a multiyear drought.

Ken Wilson
Council Member and former member  and Chair of Boulder's Water Resources Advisory Board