[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: CML Policy Committee

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jul 16 16:12:27 MDT 2012

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

Colleagues - As you may remember, Suzanne and I were selected as the city's reps to the Colorado Municipal League's Policy Committee, with the understanding that when we were limited to only one such rep (due to population as reported in the census) that Suzanne would keep that position.  However, I have some good news: after a conversation with CML staff, we will be able to keep both seats on the Policy Committee for the upcoming legislative session (in part due to the fact that I'm a "district president" this year, and in part because of the clear undercounting of our population).  Suzanne would of course be the "main" rep (and I hope she will try again to get on the CML Board), and if it's okay with everyone I would remain as the second rep for another year (with Carl, of course, continuing as our essential alternate).  Having two votes on the Policy Committee doesn't make much practical difference, but having two people in the room lobbying as necessary can be helpful, and my role at NLC is also seen as being very important to CML staff.  We need to formally tell CML about our reps, so let us know if there are any concerns about this.

By the way, regarding the district president position: the only known implication of this is that the yearly district meeting (our district contains the entire Denver metro area) is held in our city.  Thanks to some very quick work by Alisa Lewis, we have lined up the spectacular NCAR building for the dinner, which will be held Sept. 5.  There is a small (less than $50) fee per person, but given the location we hope that many CML cities will attend, and of course everyone on our council is welcome to come.  These events give CML staff some time to offer updates on legislative issues and the upcoming session and, of course, provide a great opportunity for a lot of schmoozing among the attendees.

--Matt