[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: NLC Committee meeting

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 6 08:45:02 MDT 2012

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

Colleagues - Continuing to catch up on meeting reports: this is on the National League of Cities meeting of the Energy, Environment, and Natural Resources steering committee.  We met last month along with all of the policy committees, which gave us a chance to talk with each other (I had dinner one night with a couple of Denver-area councilmembers) and also to hold joint sessions at which we no doubt were able to get better speakers.  I also had a tour of a very nicely done housing redevelopment project that mixes market-rate and affordable housing units, as well as a look at the huge new convention center that is being built downtown.

Conveniently, NLC staff has already prepared a summary of the meeting, which I've attached.  EENR, as usual, has taken on three main issues for the year, with the goal of modifying/creating/updating NLC policy and also providing useful information to committee members and NLC: financing of water infrastructure projects, hydraulic fracturing, and energy efficiency.  We also heard good presentations on municipal finances, critical infrastructure and community resilience, and the federal budget.

I've attached a number of files that provide most of the presentations given at the meeting; you might find it interesting to skim through some of them.

Looking ahead, I'm chairing a subcommittee that will do more work on the energy efficiency topic.  Our goal is to update and clarify an existing NLC resolution on this issue and bring most of it into formal NLC policy (which guides staff lobbying).  The next meeting is in September, where we'll finish our policy work; the fall NLC conference is in November when the full EENR policy committee, the NLC Board, and the full membership gets to approve any policy changes.

--Matt