[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: NLC EENR Committee Meeting

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Sep 19 07:40:33 MDT 2011

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

Colleagues,

Last week I attended the third of the four yearly meetings of the steering committee of the Energy, Environment, and Natural Resources (EENR) Policy Committee of the National League of Cities, of which I'm a vice-chair.  Typically, at the third meeting the committee approves changes to NLC policy (the formal, permanent NLC policy direction) and resolutions (temporary statements of NLC objectives, typically related to some current or desired legislative action).  At the fourth meeting - held during the Congress of Cities Conference (this year, in Phoenix in November), the full policy committee meets to review and vote on all recommended changes, which are then sent on to NLC's board for formal approval.

This year we cleaned up a lot of old policy and deleted many old resolutions.  However, we kept resolutions that Boulder submitted last year, relating to the PACE program (on which NLC has been lobbying) and the need to clarify that cities can set their own energy standards in building codes without running afoul of federal appliance standards.

We approved some new policy sections as well.  One deals with "fracking" (hydraulic fracturing) that is used in natural gas extraction.  This calls for full disclosure of chemicals, and ensuring water quality/resource protection.  We also added a short section on smart grids (which I ended up writing) which simply endorses more federal efforts in standardization and pilot programs.  NLC didn't have any policy on smart grid, so this at least gets things going.  Finally, we approved two new resolutions, the first setting out policy guidance for the renewal of the farm bill (with emphasis on health, sustainable agriculture, etc.), and the second supporting the One Health initiative.

Perhaps more importantly, this was the first time that five policy committees met jointly (this summer EENR met with a couple of other policy committees, and, amazingly, that was the first time any such committees had met).  This is essential because there is unavoidable overlap among the committees' purviews, and also because there is some substantial disagreement regarding certain policies.  In particular, EENR finds itself at odds with both the transportation and economic development committees, which both would prefer reduced (environmental) regulation.  This was just a start of discussions, which will no doubt continue next year.

We heard presentations from the US DOT on transportation issues and the (just extended) transportation bill, and from the EPA on water issues.  We also heard a fairly technical presentation on Smart Grid from the DOE.  Since the meeting was held in New Orleans, we had a tour of two quite remarkable redevelopment projects, as well as their largest drainage pumping station.

If you want any additional details just let me know.  NLC policy is available on their web site, although to see the proposed changes you need to go to each specific policy committee.  I've applied to again be a vice-chair of EENR for next year and expect to get reappointed, particularly since I've gotten to know the incoming NLC president fairly well.

--Matt