[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Problems on University Hill

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Oct 21 12:57:46 MDT 2011

Sender: Wilson, Ken

After a long day working at my job and dealing with City related issues, my wife and I were having some quiet time reading and listening to music at 11:15 last night.  There was the usual hooting and shouting from people walking by the house to parties, and a noisy group of young people talking on the porch next door.  Suddenly there was a dramatic increase in the noise level with louder shouting and many people.  We went outside on our porch and there, two houses away, at the corner of Euclid and 11th was a large couch on fire with flames going high in the air.  There was a crowd of people around enjoying the disturbance.  The police quickly arrived and a fire engine soon followed to put out the fire.  This isn't something you expect two houses away, even on University Hill.  I talked with the officer and he had a pretty good idea where the couch came from (maybe an apartment nearby) but there is no way to really find out.  This situation was far from becoming a riot, but with a few more people it could have turned really bad.

I don't know where these students get all of their free time.  When I was in college we certainly didn't party three nights per week.  We studied.  I think CU is doing a better job of keeping students focused on their studies, but we certainly aren't where we need to be.  The City does what it can with enforcement, but there is a limit to what can be done.  I think the students themselves, particularily UCSU, need to help with solutions.

I am attaching three pictures of the fire that I took on my iPhone.  The first was several minutes after the peak of the blaze and the other two were taken as the Fire Department put out the fire.  I very much appreciate both the PD and the Fire Department as they were both quick to respond.

Just another night on University Hill.

Ken Wilson
Deputy Mayor - and long time Hill resident