[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Utility Board Training for Boulder's Energy Future--Utility Operation and Management 101

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Jun 16 12:04:31 MDT 2011

Sender: Cowles, Macon

It would be a good idea to start a training class for potential Utility Board members--whether to oversee a partnership with Xcel, or to oversee a municipal utility.

Set up a training course, with trainers coming in at least weekly between, say, August through November at which time we will have received the marching orders from our constituents. The curriculum would follow what was briefly sketched by the Texas Utility CEO, Mr. Lee, Tuesday night. It would ensure that there will be a well trained supply of potential board members to implement the voters' choice after the election. Staff would want to recruit people to attend such as executives from Ball and IBM--big users--as well as people from other segments of the City, including service clubs and other parts of the social and economic fabric of our City.

An ancillary benefit is that it could really help to inform the public discussion of the issues as the election draws near in November. You could even charge people for registration to the course--$100-200 or so to defray the cost of people coming in to teach the courses.

The Boulder Energy Future video that can be seen at http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14232&Itemid=4636 invites people to get involved in the discussion and choice that the community is making. The course work would be a good way for people to get deeply involved in the discussion and choice, and to help the City prepare for the next step.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Councilor