[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Request for additional Municipalization business case model runs

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Jun 15 13:28:47 MDT 2011

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

So, at the grave risk of being yelled at for having a “discussion” on Hotline, I’d first like to second both Macon’s and Susan’s excellent comments.  And then focus, again, on process, not substance.   It will be impossible for council to vote on how the modeling with proceed, which cases/assumptions will be made, etc.  I suggested a couple of ideas during the public meeting last night, and I’ll leave it to staff to determine if any of those are helpful.  Certainly council can ask questions – for example, if there are any credible issues with the acquisition cost analysis they should be dealt with  – but they cannot all be answered, both due to time, and, importantly, as Macon points out, strategic implications.

Finally, and for the umpteenth time, we need to more generally deal with this “discussion on Hotline” issue.  It simply cannot be the case that the first person to send in a comment, no matter how unrepresentative or irrelevant or for a particular political purpose, gets the final word, with staff all too often then jumping to respond, or the media picking up on it as if it were the sense of the entire council.  And so it simply must be acceptable for others to respond, as Macon and Susan did so well in this case (and, for example, as I did re Lisa’s question of a few days ago).  We could, I suppose, “make believe” that we’re sending in a completely separate and independent Hotline that just so happens, by sheerest accident, to cover the same issues as the Hotline we’re **not** responding to, or we could get real and just respond, even if that implies a dreaded “discussion.”  However we handle this, on this most controversial issue or on others sure to come, it can’t be that the first person in gets the first, last, and only word on a topic.
--Matt