[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: FW: comments on Long's gardens

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jun 7 13:26:06 MDT 2011

Sender: Lisa Morzel

From: lisa morzel [mailto:lisamorzel at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:40 AM
To: Council
Subject: comments on Long's gardens

Dear Colleages,

Here are comments I have on Long's Gardens:

I support placing a conservation easement on the Long's Gardens properties as proposed.  However, I have a few comments:

1.     Why does the city want to pay close to $0.5M for 1/3 acre for surface parking on Broadway?.  I think that is such a poor use of limited funds and of this land and wonder if we couldn't spend the same funds better on something else.  I am not convinced parking is needed since 1) it's a recreation center; 2) it is on the SKIP and 208 and additional bus lines; and 3) bike paths connect to many routes.

2.     I want to see this property stay the gem it is today with Growing Gardens in the back with a reasonable size facility for Growing Gardens (not 28,000 sq ft however) and the iris garden and historic structures in front.  Here we can preserve and continue the historic agricultural use this property has enjoyed for over 100 years and continue to develop Growing Gardens, giving many in the community a central base from where to learn sound agricultural practices, and preserving and preparation of food.
I am much more in line with the original letter of intent written earlier than the recent proposed seller's conservation easement.  I want to see the agricultural land stay agricultural, much as it is today without additional large structures built.  I also do not want to see the main structures on the property replaced.

I definitely am opposed to any additional housing or other development on this property.  I really do not support parking for the rec center here.

thanks
Lisa
--
please note that my e-mail address has changed to lisamorzel at gmail.com<mailto:lisamorzel at gmail.com>