[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: GMO's and City of Boulder Open Space

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 29 13:35:01 MDT 2011

Sender: Kohl, Susan

Hello Ms. Gray
There are two parts to this response- the text below and the table attached.
The City Open Space and Mountain Parks Department and Boulder County Parks and Open Space jointly own 71 parcels. In each case of joint ownership one partner, either the City or County has management responsibility for each property. This arrangement worked reasonably well over the years.
Unfortunately some years ago the County decided to authorize the use of genetically modified corn on the Imel property which is jointly owned but managed by the County.  The County is aware of OSMP’s prohibition of genetically modified crops of any sort on OSMP lands. The County did not consult OSMP prior to authorizing the GMO corn and has since declined to discontinue its authorization for use on the Imel property.  GMOs were not specifically prohibited in the ownership agreement.
We will be engaging the County on a broader system wide look at open space issues and our ongoing relationship. OSMP expects to pursue and resolve our concerns over the use of any GMO crops on jointly owned property.
Please let me know if this answers your request and let me know if you need any further information.
Thank you,
Kesha Robitaille
City of Boulder
Open Space and Mountain Parks
RobitailleK at BoulderColorado.gov<mailto:RobitailleK at BoulderColorado.gov> 720.564.2032