[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: How much money is Xcel pouring into a campaign to defeat Municipalization

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Aug 5 08:43:05 MDT 2011

Sender: Cowles, Macon

How much money is Xcel pouring into a campaign to defeat Municipalization? And through whom?

In my questioning of David Miller, Chair of a group that calls itself "Boulder Smart Energy Coalition" about where they had gotten money to publish two expensive print ads in the Camera, he refused to answer; and he would not tell us whether he had contributed to the group. In an interview yesterday, Xcel refused to tell a Camera reporter whether Xcel is funding the group. See http://www.dailycamera.com/energy/ci_18610881

Yesterday, Boulder voters received a four color 8-1/2 X 11 mailing from the same group. A copy of it is attached. This is a VERY expensive campaign brochure. And so, the question is even more relevant now than it was Tuesday night. Where is the Boulder Smart Energy Coalition getting its money? Why won't Xcel tell us how much money they are spending, and where, to persuade Boulder voters that they should continue to do business with Xcel Energy, which last year took $300,000,000 in profit from its Colorado customers.

To find out where this money is coming from, we have to ask straightforward, honest questions. Because if you don't ask the right questions, you will never get the right answers.

What we are seeing right now is the first of a torrent of money that Xcel will inject into this race to seed doubt and fear and to mislead voters.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Councilor