[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Suggested Ammendments to Ballot Language

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 1 07:05:31 MDT 2011

Sender: Wilson, Ken

Last week I submitted a potential ballot language change on each of the two tax issues (CAP tax or Occupation tax) that would provide funding for renewable energy incentives if the city decides not to municipalize.  This ammendment is consistent with our goals of reducing our carbon footprint, increasing the use of renewable energy and giving voters a choice.  If the voters vote in favor of municipilization, my ammendment would only come into play if the city decided at some future date that municipilization did not make sense financially or was not likely to meet our other goals.  While the details of how this ammendment would work have not been discussed, neither has any future program for renewable energy incentives been discussed if we municipalize.  We have two organizations in town that are experts in renewable energy incentives - The Colorado Solar Industry Association (COSIA) and the American Solar Energy Society (ASES).  I am confident that we could flesh out a sensible incentive program in a short period of time when and if that is needed.

I would like the public to comment on this ammendment as part of the public hearing on Tuesday and I hope other council members will keep an open mind as to whether or not to support this ammendment.  The language is almost identical to the language I proposed last week:

(CAP TAX Ballot initiative - Page 28 in the Council packet, Agenda Item #5C, Attachment B.  My language replaces language in the middle of the ballot language on that page.

Starting with    "AND SHALL THE CITY’S CLIMATE ACTION PLAN EXCISE TAX BE EXTENDED FROM ITS CURRENT EXPIRATION DATE OF MARCH 31, 2013 THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017 FOR THE CONTINUED PURPOSE OF IMPLEMENTING THE CITY’S CLIMATE ACTION PLAN AND THE ANNUAL INCREASE IN THE TAX FOR THE ADDITIONAL PURPOSE OF, EITHER: 1) FUNDING PRELIMINARY COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH CREATING A MUNICIPAL ELECTRIC UTILITY AND ACQUIRING AN EXISTING ELECTRIC DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM OR 2) CREATING INCENTIVES FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY IF THE CITY DECIDES NOT TO CREATE A MUNICIPAL ELECTRIC UTILITY, SHALL THE REVENUE FROM SUCH TAX ..."

(Occupation Tax Ballot Language - Page 32 in the Council packet, Agenda Item #5C, Attachment C.  My language replaces language in the middle of the ballot language on that page.

Starting with    “AND SHALL THE CITY'S UTILITY OCCUPATION TAX BE EXTENDED FROM ITS CURRENT EXPIRATION DATE OF DECEMBER 31, 2015 THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017, FOR THE GENERAL COSTS OF GOVERNMENT, AND THE ANNUAL INCREASE IN THE TAX TO FUND EITHER: 1) THE PRELIMINARY COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH CREATING A MUNICIPAL ELECTRIC UTILITY AND ACQUIRING AN EXISTING ELECTRIC DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM OR 2) CREATING INCENTIVES FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY IF THE CITY DECIDES NOT TO CREATE A MUNICIPAL ELECTRIC UTILITY, AND SHALL THE REVENUE FROM SUCH TAX ... "

I would be happy to answer any questions associated with the proposed ammendments.

Ken Wilson