[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Mobile food Vehicles

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Apr 26 15:36:13 MDT 2011

Sender: Kincannon, Kirk

Hi KC. Yes we have one vendor under contract to perform services for each site location. So each site has a vendor.

Yes my understanding is the contract is exclusive, with the exception that the if Department makes the determination that any event held at the park site would require more food service provision then the existing vendor can provide.   In that instance, we would first offer the existing vendor an opportunity to meet the additional need and if they could not meet the additional need, we would then contract with another vendor to supplement food services.
Generally vendors at the athletic fields serve hot dogs hamburgers, garden burgers, nachos, fruit soda Gatorade candy Power Bars wraps burritos breakfast burritos, fruit bars, bagels special organic sausages, sunrise sandwiches, or other items that we may require or ask for.

The food vendors generally set up when league play and schedules provide the best opportunity for sales and we require certain large draw days be covered with their food service operation. They establish the schedule of based on their determination of market in addition to our required weekends and holidays that are specified.

We do not specifically state that the vendors must provide one type of food or another, but that they must be flexible to public and Department requests.

The RFP's for Valmont and East Boulder Community Park are under development now.  Generally we will require the vendor to be open on weekends and peak times with the ability of the vendor to close as related to lack of sales that are required to offset their expense. The intent is to be exclusive other than when the Department determines the need for more services.

The Department has found that revenues generated by food vendors in this format can provide the Department in excess of 10-15% of gross revenue from the vendor. In the case of the athletic areas, that can be in the range of $3,500 -5,000 per year.

I believe is it best to use an RFP and contracted service for park sites (within the parks) based on the Department/City receiving a significantly great amount of revenue for the service vs. a onetime permit fees. This revenue helps offset Department Operational costs.

Kirk W. Kincannon, CPRP
Director, Parks and Recreation
City of Boulder, Colorado
303-413-7200